Photos & Media | Volunteers & Leaders | History of Merry Wing

This Duxbury Duck is one of a historic class of vessels built by George Shiverick at his shop on the Jones River in 1928. It has been undergoing restoration in the same boatshop at Jones River Landing since 2006, by volunteers who have an interest in wooden boatbuilding or who just want to learn more about this maritime craft during our Wednesday evening Boatshop Open House. Shiverick was a renowned and prolific builder who operated his boatshop at the Landing from around 1895 to 1940.


Photos & Media

Slideshow: Reconstruction of the Merry Wing by Peter Arenstam

Slideshow: Merry Wing re-launch celebration by Matt Wood, Matt Wood Photography

Mighty Duck floats again in Kingston by Kathryn Gallerani, Kingston Reporter

85-year-old sailboat back in the water thanks to dozens of volunteers by Sue Scheible, The Patriot Ledger.
Related videos: Relaunching of a 1928 Duxbury Duck | Old salts blissed out on Duxbury Ducks


Photos by Jimmy Powell & Iris Gallagher:


Volunteers who made the restoration possible:


Roy Newbury
John Wheble
Armando Enriquez
Dave Wood
Sean O’Neill
Bernie McFadd
Jim Pirozzi
Todd Palavanchi
Tom Sangiolo
Mike Jones
David Jones
Bryan Tolley
Ed Valla
Tom Stadelman
Eric Newnum
Bill Stocker
Steve Miller
Matthew Wheble
Jacob Walter
Laura Tilton
Howard Richardson
Jill Hughes
Chris Madsen
Bob Weber
Brian Spires
Gullman
Danny Matthews
Sara Matthews
Steve Woll
Wally Guytano
Mike Murray
Matt Wood
Jim Crowell
John Coughlan
Nancy Dias
Joe Jordan
Carol Crosby
Bill English
Lou Noselli
Glenn Duffy
Brendan Riordan
Peter Donohoe
George Greenamyer
Doris Johnson
Michael Radoslovich
Bob Spalding
Tom Nugent
Bob Yorke
John Millett
Charlie Wood
Kate Bell
Ed Zalewski
Pete Wilson
Bob Conrad
Matt Murray
Frank Rodriques
Dylan Korbel
Darlene Korbel
Keith McIntosh
Art Quilty
Tina Booth
Laurel Booth
Gail Rodriques
Bob Booth
Mark LaFaver
John McLellan
Bob Nelson
Jennifer Oram
Peter Oram
Ed McPhail
Don Salmond
Jeremy Muise
Doug Muise
Tom Richmond
Robert Reid
Brett M.
Bruce Barrett
Jason Oliva
Robert Devine
John K. White
Rob Quick

Project Leaders

Reuben Smith & Sean O’Neill (2006–2008)
Peter Arenstam (2008–2013)

With special appreciation to Sherm Hoyt for the initial boat donation and incentive funding.


History of Merry Wing

There are many references that point to Jones River Landing as the “oldest continuously operating boatyard in the country”—some say, in North America. Until proven otherwise, we will proudly carry this legacy.

Boatbuilding on Jones River was established by the early 1700’s. The Landing yard in particular has a very rich history beginning with the fishing and trade vessels which helped establish not only the colonies, but the industry and inventiveness that ensured the Nation’s success. The first commissioned ship of the Continental Navy, the Brig Independence was built along these banks, as were major trading ships that set sail to the Mediterranean, China, Caribbean, and New Orleans.

By the end of the nineteenth century, the period of large sailing vessels had passed. Nate Watson had been building the Kingston lobster boats on the river just upstream on our Holmes/Watson site with his in-law, Captain E.A Ransom—both were America’s Cup Champions. The young George Shiverick was lured to the area from his Dennis home and began his impressive and stunning work on racing, sailing, motor boats and tenders. Shiverick built his shop at the Landing in the fall of 1895 and retired in 1940, having completed some 228 craft including a class of Duxbury Ducks.

The Merry Wing, one of the Ducks, was designed by John Alden and built by George Shiverick c. 1928. In all, he built twenty-one 18-footers for the racing fleet. We are told that many of this fleet were destroyed during the fury of Hurricane Carol in 1954. Sometime after, the hull of Merry Wing was rescued by Sherm Hoyt of Duxbury, who subsequently issued a challenge to the Landing’s first Boatshop Director, Reuben Smith. His challenge to restore Merry Wing came with an offer to pay for the materials needed, and was taken over in 2008 by current Boatshop Director, Peter Arenstam.

Hoyt’s $5,000 investment along with 80 volunteers at the Landing have saved and will set to sail the fully restored Merry Wing in this new era of Duxbury, Kingston and Plymouth Bays. Fare thee well Merry Wing!